In partnership with the Young Vic, Traverse Theatre and Sherman Theatre, Theatre Uncut are looking for the next generation of political playwrights that want to explore the big issues that affect our lives today.
Submissions will open on 1st September 2018 and close 1st November 2018.
A longlist of 30 play will be read by Theatre Uncut Artistic Directors Hannah Price and Emma Callander. A shortlist of 10 plays will then be read by the Artistic Directors of the partner venues Kwame Kwei Armah (Young Vic), Rachel O’Riordan (Sherman Theatre) and Orla O’Loughlin (Traverse Theatre) and the winner judged by the panel of the above with invited guests (to be announced soon). The writer of the winning play will receive an award of £9,500.
- The Theatre Uncut Political Playwriting Award is open to writers based in the UK only.
- You don’t have to have been born in the UK, just currently live in the UK.
- There is no age restriction.
- There is no minimum level of experience.
- We are looking for original stories, not adaptation or translation.
- This award is for plays longer than 60 minutes in length, so at least 40 pages or 9,000 words.
- The play must not have received public production of any kind (public readings not included).
- The play must be written for stage.
- The play should need no more than 6 actors
They are looking for new voices that haven’t yet had many opportunities to have their work produced by a professional company or venue so are accepting plays from writers who have had no more that two plays presented as full production runs (by which they mean runs longer than 3 weeks).
They are looking for plays that ask provocative questions about the individual’s relationship with society. Although they are only able to accept submissions from writers living in the UK we will also welcome stories that examine the global perspective.