The Wolfson Cystic Fibrosis Centre & City Arts are looking for an experienced freelance writer or poet. The successful candidate will work creatively with inpatients and outpatients at the centre in Nottingham. The work will enhance the environment at the centre and raise awareness of Cystic Fibrosis.
If successful, you will run a series of 1:1 workshops with approximately 15 inpatients and outpatients on the ward, in the clinic (subject to Covid-19 guidelines), and remotely (via Zoom). The workshops should explore the experience of living with Cystic Fibrosis. You should be sensitive and compassionate when working with the patients. There might be opportunities to run group workshops over a video conferencing platform. You could use this to involve family members in the process.
As an outcome from the project, you will be expected to work with patients to create a collection of poems or short pieces of writing. You will capture audio recordings of the final works. Following this, patients will have the opportunity to work with an artist to add imagery to their words. The writing and imagery will be combined in a series of short films, which will be shown on the wards.
This programme of work is funded by the Nottingham Hospitals Charity. It is a partnership between Wolfson Cystic Fibrosis Centre and City Arts.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience of running creative 1:1 workshops for people aged 18+, in community settings and remotely, using a co-production model
- A track record of producing high quality creative outcomes with participants
- A positive and sensitive approach to working with participants
- A flexibility in your creative approach and a willingness to align the style, delivery and themes of you workshop to the needs of participants
- An inclusive approach and willingness to use different styles, methods and approaches of engagement with people that may be already be involved in writing and poetry, as well as newcomers to the arts
- Confidence working in a hospital setting
- The ability to work as part of a team
- A demonstrable ability to meet agreed schedules and deadlines
- You will be expected to have a DBS certificate and your own public liability insurance up to £5 million. If you do not have a DBS certificate we can support you to get one.
Location: Wolfson Cystic Fibrosis Centre, St Francis Way, Nottingham, NG5 1PF
Deadline: 26 Apr 2021, 5:00pm