Five writers will be selected to embark on the six-month scheme where they will be supported to develop their writing for screen and stage. This bespoke development opportunity will provide a rare insight into how the TV industry works with guidance and support from the WBITVP production company, Wall to Wall North, while further nurturing their writing for stage with the Royal Exchange Theatre.
During the programme, a unique package of workshops and bespoke development opportunities will be offered. Successful writers will work towards writing a one-hour TV pilot script, giving them the opportunity to experience the collaborative process with the support of a professional Script Editor. In addition, the writers will be offered two one-to-one meetings with a Dramaturg from the Royal Exchange Theatre, where they will have the opportunity to discuss their stage work and receive expert advice and feedback.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Currently reside in the North of England – defined as Yorkshire and Humber, North-West and North-East England.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Not have any screen credits at the time of applying.
To be selected for the programme, applicants will need further demonstrate through the expression of interest and writing sample that they:
- Have a distinctive voice and a drive to tell ambitious stories that will connect with a wide audience.
- Have an interest in writing for screen and a commitment to forging a career as a writer across media.
- Would tangibly benefit from the opportunity of structured support and a bespoke developmental journey.
11:59pm 8 May 2023
– Shortlisted applicants notified: 22 May 2023
– Deadline to submit longer piece of writing: midday 26 May 2023
– Final Interviews: 19 June 2023 – 20 June 2023
– Final outcomes: Week beginning 21 June 2023
– Training programme kicks off (9 sessions throughout the period of 6 months): 13 July 2023
*Subject to change
Writers will need to be available for in person sessions* at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester** on the following dates:
– 13th & 14th July – SESSION ONE – afternoon of 13th to evening of 14th July
– 18th August – SESSION TWO
– 15th September – SESSION THREE
– 20th October – SESSION FOUR
– 17th November – SESSION FIVE
– 18th December – SESSION SIX
*Subject to change
** Where writers need to travel the day before accommodation will be provided