The Yale Drama Series is an annual international competition for emerging playwrights. The winner receives the David Charles Horn prize of $10,000, publication of their manuscript by Yale University Press and a professional and a staged reading at Lincoln Center’s Claire Tow Theater. Ayad Akhtar is the judge for the 2018-2019 competitions.
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, adaptations, and children’s plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
5. Plays may not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
6. Plays must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered, and in Yale Drama Series play format.
7. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
8. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
Electronic submissions for the 2018 competition must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2017 and no later than August 15, 2017. The submission window closes at midnight EST.
If you would like to submit an electronic copy of your manuscript please go to: https://yup.submittable.com/submit.
If you are submitting your play electronically, please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play’s title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please enter the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges electronic submission. By electronically submitting your script, you will receive immediate confirmation of your successful submission and the ability to check the status of your entry.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges applicants to submit their scripts electronically, but if that is impossible, they will accept hardcopies.
Submissions for the 2018 competition must be postmarked no earlier than June 1, 2017 and no later than August 15, 2017.
If you are submitting a hard copy of your play, the manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play’s title and your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address (if you have one), page count, and (if applicable) a list of acknowledgments; and a second title page that lists the title of the play only, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please include a brief biography at the end of the manuscript, on a separate page.
Do not bind or staple the manuscript.
Do not send the only copy of your work. Manuscripts cannot be returned after the competition. If you wish receipt of your manuscript to be acknowledged, please include an email address on your title page or a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Send the manuscript to Yale Drama Series, P.O. Box 209040, New Haven, CT 06520-9040.