The Customs House in South Shields is currently preparing for their Takeover Festival for 2020. Each year The Customs House is taken over by emerging artists and arts professionals aged up to 25 years of age for a week of theatre, cinema, music, dance, poetry, hip hop and visual art.
They are seeking to appoint 2020’s Young Writer in Residence, who will benefit from mentoring from a professional writer.
This year’s mentoring will be delivered by eminent playwright Tom Wells (DRIP (Script Club/Boundless Theatre); BROKEN BISCUITS (Paines Plough/Live Theatre, Newcastle); FOLK (Birmingham Rep/Hull Truck Theatre/Watford Palace Theatre), JUMPERS FOR GOALPOSTS (Paines Plough – Watford Palace Theatre and UK tour, 2013/14).
The Young Writer in Residence’s play will be staged in the Customs House Main House as the finale piece of the Takeover Festival on 29th May. The total fee allocated to the writer for the opportunity is £400 payable upon submission of the final draft.
- They are seeking submissions which have young people’s voices at its heart, and a narrative that is firmly rooted in the north east.
- The final version would run at between 45-60 minutes, with no interval and would be suitable for audiences aged 14+.
- There would need to be roles for eight young actors, these may play single parts or as multi-roles.
- A final draft would need to be completed by 4th May 2020.
- Because of their funding, the Young Writer in Residence would need to be aged 25 and under and be from/live in the north east of England.
Deadline for submissions
Monday 16th March 2020 at 5.00pm