Here at the Royal Exchange Theatre we want to support artists within Greater Manchester to be creatively ambitious with their work and encourage the sharing of knowledge, resources and artistic practice.
The Open Exchange provides a series of developmental opportunities for emerging artists of all disciplines, rooted in the belief that collaboration creates great art and brilliant theatre doesn’t always begin with a script. At its simplest, Open Exchange is a free network of multidisciplinary artists who want to share ideas and perhaps make some work together. The Exchange is a hub for that network to meet, stay connected and find out about opportunities for theatre makers from across the UK. Writers can join the Open Exchange network to access workshops or opportunities to collaborate with other artists, directors and theatre-makers.
There are three tiers of opportunities for Open Exchange members to dip in and out of as much or as little as needed:
- Members can access a free programme of masterclasses, rehearsal space, advice and mentoring.
- Applied-for opportunities to get paid to make theatre in collaborative and adventurous ways with REACT and Co:LAB.
- Year-long bespoke residencies for up to three Supported Artists who are identified as promising emerging theatre makers.
The work of the Open Exchange also fuels our biennial Hodgkiss Prize, a prestigious award which enables artists and companies from across the North of England to produce new devised work at the Exchange.
Through Writers Exchange programme, we work with local, national and international playwrights, offering a range of bespoke opportunities including mentoring, workshops, readings and unique projects to develop their craft, access support and networking opportunities and create ambitious new work for our iconic spaces.
This is for you if:
- If you are an emerging theatre-maker or artist aged 18+, based or making work in Greater Manchester
- If you are seeking new collaborators or looking to develop your craft
- All types of artists and art forms are welcome, including those who wouldn’t usually consider a theatre as their natural home
- We actively encourage sign up from groups and individuals who are under-represented in the artistic community (BAME, D/deaf & Disabled)
You can join the Open Exchange Network in two easy steps.
- Step 1 -To join, you must have a Royal Exchange Theatre customer ID number. You can find this on your theatre tickets or an email receipt. Alternatively you can create a brand new account. Still having trouble finding your number? Contact the Box Office on 0161 833 9833 / email for help.
- Step 2 -Once you have your customer ID, please fill out this survey to complete your registration to the Open Exchange Network.
- Don’t forget to send a request to join the members only Facebook Group.
For more information and to join please go to https://www.royalexchange.co.uk/open-exchange
As ever, The Bruntwood Prize also uses this website as a platform to promote opportunities and events that may be of interest to writers and theatre makers across the UK, and sometimes worldwide. We are not affiliated with the organisers of these opportunities, please go directly to them if you have any questions.